Why my github (Jekyll) page wasn’t being indexed by Google

less than 1 minute read

The Problem

I added this site to Google Webmasters a week ago. In their URL Inspection tool, it said “Crawled - currently not indexed”, and that the page was “excluded”. As a result, the site wasn’t being listed on Google.

The Solution

I noticed that the user-defined canonical url shown on Webmasters was https://techknowfile.dev/techknowfile.dev. I opened my Jekyll _config.yml file and changed url: "techknowfile.dev" to url: "https://techknowfile.dev". Saved. Pushed. 10 seconds later, the Webmaster’s URL Inspection page changed to “URL is on Google”. Problem solved.